Skip to main content

Sunrise (with Summer Stormclouds)

My alarm goes off at 7:00... on my day off.  I curl up into a tight ball, debating just going back to bed.
My eyes are scratchy.  My head aches, and my neck has a crick on the right side, all too familiar.  My mouth is dry and there is an uncomfortable taste of... nothing.  Just sleep-stale saliva.

Waking up without a hangover is still so novel.


119 days ago, I was a hollow cask, one partially filled with wine but leaking at the seams from age, use, and abuse.  If you've ever lived on the water, you may know a little bit about the dangers of dry-docking a wooden boat, and that was my fear: if I stopped pouring wine into that old cask, it would dry out and become useless, never able to hold sand... relationships, intimacy, social interactions, happiness, relaxation, peace... all of those things like fine sand, I covered in the wine to keep the cask at a higher level than it actually should have been.  Because the damn thing would never stop leaking.

When the level got too low, the sand would start drying and running out between the slats, and when the level got too high, the sand would slosh out over the top, mingled with the wine.  I was not careful in pouring in the liquid, I often became frantic in my efforts and recklessly dumped it in, not caring if it was TOO full, so long as it wasn't empty, God forbid.

119 days ago, I lost a lover that I thought would be my savior.  I lost a partner that I thought would be forever, and the relationship was forever darkened by resentments from both sides, though we had enough love to attempt to try again, with horrible results.  Despite everyone in my recovery group telling me otherwise, I thought love would be enough, but the resentments won and I had to experience the heartbreak of losing him twice, while still in the process of finding myself.
It nearly defeated me.  I'm still battling the encroaching fear of our third split, the one where he moves on, and I have to find a way to be happy for him, or give up the fractured piece of the relationship that remains lodged in my heart, my throat, my mind, keeping me awake and bleeding at night.


50 days ago, I stirred the still-moist sand, stained red, and realized there was something gold beneath.  I couldn't quite make out the edges of the object, and it was quite unfamiliar, but it instilled a feeling of nostalgia within me, and I realized that I needed to let the sand dry, permanently.
I needed to heal, and let go, to see what was repressed under the fine grit of old relationships, things which used to bring me happiness, and the dirt of old resentments and trauma of my own.

I pulled out my sifting pan, and started pulling out clots from the muck, looking for gold.


I climbed out of bed, at 7am, on my day off, and started the process anew: coffee, meditation, contemplation, preparing myself to be a little better than I was yesterday, One Day at a Time.

Popular posts from this blog

Optimism (with Frozen Needs)

Some days I want to write and write and write, and then there are others... the days where I feel as though I physically would choke and die if I attempted to open my journal and put ink on page. I remember that choke .  I used to feel it tighten my throat whenever I cracked open a box of cheap wine and realized I had drank more than intended the night before and could not make it through an entire day with the remaining contents of the sloshing, poisonous bag.  I used to feel it whenever I attempted stepping out of the house, and unless it was for another box of wine, I often let it defeat me. "The Gift of Fear" I thought, priding myself on being so good and so gentle with the mental illnesses that trapped me in that apartment for five slippery sloshing years. Mental illness does not deserve my kind regard. Recently, I've been feeling pretty down on myself, because at 235 days, I am not a saint.  The miraculous transformation I expected to continue in...

Partnership (with Benefits)

A Thought from last night... Usually, I have very nebulous reasons for staying in a partnership.  It was something I placed more on myself: "I like the way I feel when he..." or "He makes me..." and the longevity was usually based on my perception of their capacity to put up with my bullshit. Small fights breaking out isn't new for me, but not feeling more secure in the relationship bonds after a tit (or alternatively, breaking things off completely) is strange territory. E. is not afraid to walk away after a fight.  He makes it very clear that he stays here so long as he chooses to, and I respect that so long as it's benefiting him, he will find it easier to choose my company.  I am very much the same way.  Thank god we both prefer to talk over conflicts (after a healthy cooling-off period) and find compromises within those conflicts. I find it somewhat important that a partnership doesn't crumble the first time voices are raised. And I'm ve...

Sanctuary (with a Mild Breeze)

I think at 55 days sober, it's alright to take a couple of days to reflect on who I truly am, alone and independent.  I feel  as though I should be doing more, making more progress, working on quitting smoking, eating better, losing weight more quickly, getting out more, making more meetings, but... I only feel anxious about my own progress when I start relating it to what others are doing with the same sober time, or more.  I'm always chasing ideals, daydreaming of a better future. Some days, it's enough to get dressed, take a shower, get some minor chores done, and feel comfortable with the presence of oneself.  Not dwelling on social media or taking in the testimonies of others, just separating from the world and reflecting on what makes my own personal ideal of success. Today, my personal level of success is feeling happy.  Gently touching base with a couple of close friends to remind them that 1) I am alive and 2) I am still devastatingly funny, even...