Skip to main content

Blooming (with White Sage)

It's been a whirlwind of a month.  The beginning was humble, laughable even, my pathetic attempt at striking up a conversation with a friend that made up his formative years in the same towns I grew up in, because I found him attractive and dangerous and wanted to bang him.  Yep.  Written for posterity.

I wanted to fill some time fucking until I hit one year, and could be trusted to love again, by some magical interference from my Higher Power.  I was resigned to the grind of dating apps and organic flirtation and the unending explanations about why I choose not to drink... but man, he looked like fun.
I was so uncharacteristically enthralled by him, I agreed to meet after work, after a work meeting, nonetheless, at a place unfamiliar to me and with street parking only... my trifecta for anxiety.  We ended up talking the coffee shop closed before going back to his place, spending another couple of hours engaged in the most existential conversation I have ever had in my life, and reluctantly parting ways after watching the moon arc over the dark backdrop of his rear yard.

The very first night he confessed he had a criminal record, and with all of my heart I answered him, I knew nothing about that, and it doesn't change my opinion of the person I'm sitting here with now.

He's wild.  A tatted-up former addict and felon with some wild conspiracies on how the world works, and the intelligence and magnetism to back those theories up.  He calls himself a conspiracy scientist, and as a fellow scientist of reality as I perceive it, I can appreciate the accuracy of that statement.  He's a spiritual being, existing somewhere between heaven and earth, and ... I'm absolutely done for, aren't I?  He's the wind, causing ripples that turn into frothy waves that deeply permeate my stillness and evoke the past self that I thought buried under the leagues of time.  My sense of adventure is not dead, and I'm not as perpetually tired and pragmatic as I thought I had become in my mid-30s.  I've found someone who charges up my energy with his presence, and I am so bemused and grateful that he finds solace in me as well.  He likes spending time with me, and I am still amazed at how easy it is to believe him when he reminds me that he does, which is often.
One coffee turned into not spending more than two days apart this past month.  Yikes.

That said... this has been the most fulfilling month I've had, since early sobriety.  I've been active, going out into the wild, and feeling more myself.  My energy has been drawing good things into my circle, and I feel some days that I'm amplifying and transmitting that positivity into the world around me.  And the sex.  The primal, intense sessions that are unlike anything I've ever known.  It does things for me in ways that I've never experienced before, and that is what I needed, more than anything.  To reestablish that connection with touch and kiss and deep and caress.  Amazing stuff, really, this sober sex.
He makes me want to be the best version of myself that I possibly can.

I want to inspire him the same way, to be his very best.  I wish he could see himself as I see him, or at least catch a glimpse through my eyes of how the world is tinted, ever since he came into it.
I want to believe its more than just a friendship, or a friends-with-benefits-ship.
But I also want to take time, so much time, to make sure we're both in a good headplace for something that could be so... dangerous.  So very intoxicating.

Two junkies for romance, and the world such an ugly place.

Popular posts from this blog

Optimism (with Frozen Needs)

Some days I want to write and write and write, and then there are others... the days where I feel as though I physically would choke and die if I attempted to open my journal and put ink on page. I remember that choke .  I used to feel it tighten my throat whenever I cracked open a box of cheap wine and realized I had drank more than intended the night before and could not make it through an entire day with the remaining contents of the sloshing, poisonous bag.  I used to feel it whenever I attempted stepping out of the house, and unless it was for another box of wine, I often let it defeat me. "The Gift of Fear" I thought, priding myself on being so good and so gentle with the mental illnesses that trapped me in that apartment for five slippery sloshing years. Mental illness does not deserve my kind regard. Recently, I've been feeling pretty down on myself, because at 235 days, I am not a saint.  The miraculous transformation I expected to continue in...

Partnership (with Benefits)

A Thought from last night... Usually, I have very nebulous reasons for staying in a partnership.  It was something I placed more on myself: "I like the way I feel when he..." or "He makes me..." and the longevity was usually based on my perception of their capacity to put up with my bullshit. Small fights breaking out isn't new for me, but not feeling more secure in the relationship bonds after a tit (or alternatively, breaking things off completely) is strange territory. E. is not afraid to walk away after a fight.  He makes it very clear that he stays here so long as he chooses to, and I respect that so long as it's benefiting him, he will find it easier to choose my company.  I am very much the same way.  Thank god we both prefer to talk over conflicts (after a healthy cooling-off period) and find compromises within those conflicts. I find it somewhat important that a partnership doesn't crumble the first time voices are raised. And I'm ve...

Sanctuary (with a Mild Breeze)

I think at 55 days sober, it's alright to take a couple of days to reflect on who I truly am, alone and independent.  I feel  as though I should be doing more, making more progress, working on quitting smoking, eating better, losing weight more quickly, getting out more, making more meetings, but... I only feel anxious about my own progress when I start relating it to what others are doing with the same sober time, or more.  I'm always chasing ideals, daydreaming of a better future. Some days, it's enough to get dressed, take a shower, get some minor chores done, and feel comfortable with the presence of oneself.  Not dwelling on social media or taking in the testimonies of others, just separating from the world and reflecting on what makes my own personal ideal of success. Today, my personal level of success is feeling happy.  Gently touching base with a couple of close friends to remind them that 1) I am alive and 2) I am still devastatingly funny, even...