Skip to main content

Hidden Places where the Gods may Rest

Since last I've written you, I have broken sobriety.  At 375 days I bought a bottle of wine as part of a charcuterie evening and made the conscious decision to see where I stand in my addiction... the cucumber testing the waters to see if she may not entirely yet be a pickle.  I know.

I am disappointed in the outcome and have since twice drank to the point of inebriation and, most distastefully, hangover.  I have not missed that feeling, nor have I become any better in the absence of it... I still procrastinate to the point of disaster, even without the excuse of hangover symptoms.  
I still avoid uncomfortable conversations, even when alcohol makes me looser of tongue and more prone to break the silence when I've got something on my mind.
I can't justify this as a sustainable way of living, not when it holds me hostage and strangles what little growth I've managed to make on those character defaults.

Actually... E. has been invaluable in the wealth of personal growth I've experienced in the past 4 months... I really only started very faltering when I found myself in the company of a person who I could not feel quite entirely myself with.  I thought he might be good for me, helping me mature as part of the next step of my journey, but I fear I've stepped back.  The dates were fun, and we have a lot of shared interests, but I can't seem to accept his help.  Maybe I feel like I should be able to do these things, and I'm embarrassed that I find it so difficult?  Maybe right now I'm being too hard on myself.  Maybe next time I'll surprise myself by finding the Thing to Do slightly less difficult, since I managed this.


I've been more appreciative of my own strengths in the scant two days I have been without transportation.  Yes, one of those strengths was walking to the grocery store and visibly toting a box of wine down the major road and into my apartment complex, before consuming of it haphazardly, but yesterday, despite the queasy hangover, I managed to get up in pretty good time, go to the stores, procure some calming purple herb, and walk for 6 miles around a gorgeous sprawling hillside trail system.  Today, I Did the Thing.

In doing the Thing, I have found momentum to do a couple of other Things I similarly found difficult or impossible to start.  The high anxiety from the interminable wait until I have more news about the Bad News is fueling some anxious to-do list scratching, and ... it feels good.


E. came to me in the wee hours of the morning, using the spare key which had hung on his ring for so long.  He woke me up gently, showing me the cache of food he had brought me from work, and we talked while he undressed and I nibbled on still-hot and melty mozzarella sticks while lounging in bed.  He came to me in the dark and I wanted him as much as I ever have, even more than before we became intimate.
The intensity with which he fucks is matched by the intensity with which he cuddles afterwards, almost aggressively grabbing and squeezing me, pressing my body into his as though the intercourse was not merely enough, and I feel natural tangled in his embrace, held fast and safe, and I hold just as fastly.

I marvel at him, lounging like a hidden God in the rumples of my bedclothes, soft pastel purples, greens, and tans offsetting his deeply tanned skin.  His face becomes so soft when he sleeps, I can't bear it.

I love him so much, and that is enough.  He makes me want to empower the Goddess within me required to match his energy and radiance, a complete version of myself, not a half of a whole.

Popular posts from this blog

Optimism (with Frozen Needs)

Some days I want to write and write and write, and then there are others... the days where I feel as though I physically would choke and die if I attempted to open my journal and put ink on page. I remember that choke .  I used to feel it tighten my throat whenever I cracked open a box of cheap wine and realized I had drank more than intended the night before and could not make it through an entire day with the remaining contents of the sloshing, poisonous bag.  I used to feel it whenever I attempted stepping out of the house, and unless it was for another box of wine, I often let it defeat me. "The Gift of Fear" I thought, priding myself on being so good and so gentle with the mental illnesses that trapped me in that apartment for five slippery sloshing years. Mental illness does not deserve my kind regard. Recently, I've been feeling pretty down on myself, because at 235 days, I am not a saint.  The miraculous transformation I expected to continue in...

Partnership (with Benefits)

A Thought from last night... Usually, I have very nebulous reasons for staying in a partnership.  It was something I placed more on myself: "I like the way I feel when he..." or "He makes me..." and the longevity was usually based on my perception of their capacity to put up with my bullshit. Small fights breaking out isn't new for me, but not feeling more secure in the relationship bonds after a tit (or alternatively, breaking things off completely) is strange territory. E. is not afraid to walk away after a fight.  He makes it very clear that he stays here so long as he chooses to, and I respect that so long as it's benefiting him, he will find it easier to choose my company.  I am very much the same way.  Thank god we both prefer to talk over conflicts (after a healthy cooling-off period) and find compromises within those conflicts. I find it somewhat important that a partnership doesn't crumble the first time voices are raised. And I'm ve...

Thankstaking (with Hunger Pangs)

 I should know better by now, than to give into the solitude.  The familiarity of self-destruction, but once more I choose to celebrate only Me.  Another holiday where I stay indoors, where things never change, where I stay in control of my environment in the same way a fish can move pebbles around its bowl. I know better than to smoke, but I bought another pack today.  One last hurrah , except this time its Cowboy Killers, red on white, an exciting stranger in my home.  I take the world in 5 minute, burning breaks, lungs tense and aching, and I suffocate the bright sunshine, the riotously colored trees, and the unseasonable weather, which somehow helps me disconnect myself from the experience outside of my front porch. My head aches.  I am sick, but I am too disassociated to care.  It is a Feeling , and like many others, it can be suppressed if I smoke until I'm dizzy and drink lukewarming coffee until I'm jittery.  It's the closest thing to bein...