I have to accept that maybe, I have run out of love to give. Maybe I have run out of trust, and hope, and faith. I always thought it was no big deal if I let past loves go rather than trying to fix the mistakes I made, because there would always be another one, a greater one, a Promised One, coming along behind.
There will never be a perfect relationship, but I expect perfection from myself. I've learned a long pattern of jettisoning as soon as I've "irreparably" fucked up, and so I've never learned the line between something valuable worth fixing, or something trash that I can leave behind.
So I'm stuck with the kite string of what-ifs dangling behind the thing stuck in a tree, that once was my heart.
Maybe I'm better off keeping what small love I've managed to bring out of the battlezone safe and close.
I hate to think that I might become a selfish person, but when I'm the only constant in my life... well... do I really need anyone else? I've always put such value onto having a partner, but that was my mother's ideal to uphold. I've always been happier alone, maybe I'm just made to be a lone wolf.
Edit: What apt timing. He came round calling, offering coffee and cemeteries, and I considered the suffering and decided I was better off doing that for myself.