Skip to main content

Living (with Toxic Traits)

 I do miss him.  Even if I know he was bad for me, and that I was bad for him, and we would be at each other's throats until the day one of us inevitably (probably me) snapped and killed the other... I miss him.

This is the only place that I can admit that.


I don't think anyone really understands how I could love someone like him, and I don't have a grasp on it either, except that the parts of him that spoke to the parts of me that were softer and deeper than the addiction and the trauma, too were softer and deeper than most people would expect to see in him.  I was surprised by his softness as well, and that's how he got so very close to me.  Our quiet, hidden places found each other and uncurled from the place where we had repressed them for so long, meeting a kindred energy, though our personalities developed so differently.  His extroversion, his recklessness, his boundless positivity, versus my introversion and fear.  I didn't even know I was a negative person until he started pointing it out, and challenging me on those beliefs.  Together, we made something greater than the sum of ourselves.

I'm not here to diagnose anyone, but I always felt like our inner children met and rediscovered how to play, when things were good, and we allowed them rein to run and stumble, as children will do.  We offered each other a place that was safe, underneath of the toxic seas we cultivated to keep everyone else at a distance, but it was an environment that was familiar enough to breed love between two venomous creatures.

We were both monsters, and aware that we had been made that way, but old patterns were our undoing.


I can't talk about this with my mother, or my sister, or my best friend.  They all hate him for what he is, and they will not find fault where much is to be placed squarely on my table, my bitter meal to eat, because they love me.  They will not understand that I was half of a ruinous whole, and I had a very difficult time of it because I knew the people I loved the most would never accept him as my partner, so I sought fault in him that he did not deserve, trying to psyche myself up to leave him, again and again.

It was a very push/pull relationship we had.  I saw his pain and wanted to reach out to that, but simultaneously wanted him to stay away, because he magnified my pain and need for validation and security.  I wanted his love and validation, but for us to have a happy relationship would preclude me from the love and validation of my family and friends.  This would seem to be an easy decision, except... my family and friends only heard my side of things.  Both of us were broken and trying to figure out how to grow again, but I was too scared of what people would think if they knew I was broken enough to love him.


I didn't want to be another in the string of people who gave up on him, but his pain just resonated too close to my own.  We were so different, but... I think in the deep place of truth, we were the same.

Different coping mechanisms, and an inability to back down when the fight came to us.

But I loved his chaos, and I loved how he challenged my concept of control being the thing that kept me from breaking.  While I'm coping with the depth of that love, plumbing it based on the impression of the loss that it left, I still cannot seem to reach out to those around me, those who love me, and have the best intentions for me, because it is such a struggle to think about anything except the loss I am experiencing.

I so dearly want someone to talk to... so I'm looking into therapy again.  That seems the only place to go from here.  I can't keep sending blog posts into the echo chamber of my mind and make progress.

Popular posts from this blog

Optimism (with Frozen Needs)

Some days I want to write and write and write, and then there are others... the days where I feel as though I physically would choke and die if I attempted to open my journal and put ink on page. I remember that choke .  I used to feel it tighten my throat whenever I cracked open a box of cheap wine and realized I had drank more than intended the night before and could not make it through an entire day with the remaining contents of the sloshing, poisonous bag.  I used to feel it whenever I attempted stepping out of the house, and unless it was for another box of wine, I often let it defeat me. "The Gift of Fear" I thought, priding myself on being so good and so gentle with the mental illnesses that trapped me in that apartment for five slippery sloshing years. Mental illness does not deserve my kind regard. Recently, I've been feeling pretty down on myself, because at 235 days, I am not a saint.  The miraculous transformation I expected to continue in...

Partnership (with Benefits)

A Thought from last night... Usually, I have very nebulous reasons for staying in a partnership.  It was something I placed more on myself: "I like the way I feel when he..." or "He makes me..." and the longevity was usually based on my perception of their capacity to put up with my bullshit. Small fights breaking out isn't new for me, but not feeling more secure in the relationship bonds after a tit (or alternatively, breaking things off completely) is strange territory. E. is not afraid to walk away after a fight.  He makes it very clear that he stays here so long as he chooses to, and I respect that so long as it's benefiting him, he will find it easier to choose my company.  I am very much the same way.  Thank god we both prefer to talk over conflicts (after a healthy cooling-off period) and find compromises within those conflicts. I find it somewhat important that a partnership doesn't crumble the first time voices are raised. And I'm ve...

Thankstaking (with Hunger Pangs)

 I should know better by now, than to give into the solitude.  The familiarity of self-destruction, but once more I choose to celebrate only Me.  Another holiday where I stay indoors, where things never change, where I stay in control of my environment in the same way a fish can move pebbles around its bowl. I know better than to smoke, but I bought another pack today.  One last hurrah , except this time its Cowboy Killers, red on white, an exciting stranger in my home.  I take the world in 5 minute, burning breaks, lungs tense and aching, and I suffocate the bright sunshine, the riotously colored trees, and the unseasonable weather, which somehow helps me disconnect myself from the experience outside of my front porch. My head aches.  I am sick, but I am too disassociated to care.  It is a Feeling , and like many others, it can be suppressed if I smoke until I'm dizzy and drink lukewarming coffee until I'm jittery.  It's the closest thing to bein...