Skip to main content

Scattered Peony Petals

  This should be a happy time.  

Springtime: the weather is warm and the world is new.  The road leading to the house where we live (WE, at long last, I have settled down) is dappled with sunshine and good smells, and meanders gently to a break in the woods where a house shaded by big trees, surrounded by buttercups, sits charmingly off-center in the big yard.  There are no more apartments.  There are no more 14 hour days with the deceased, since there is little to come home to but the cats.  The two oldest persevere on, I promised them I would never suffer them a move again, after the last to a yellow country cottage full of light and surrounded by wild raspberries and honeysuckle.  I have suffered them to move, yet again, in the interest of We.  We have been dating for two years, and now are several months engaged.  He had to move in March, my lease was coming up for renewal, I made a decision on impulse and am regretful of the choice since We seems so jarring compared to the comfortable companionship of Us on the weekends spent together.  

We work far too much, cook our own dinners at unpredictable hours, or subsist on junk food because who can be bothered to cook, and drink nightly until the opposite sides of the bed take us to the next bleary morning.  It's hard to remember what Love feels like.  Is it picking up ice cream and beer because you're thinking of them?  Is it tortilla chips and salsa after I said I didn't want takeout?  Is it refilling the kettle after making the morning coffee because they might want one more cup?  Is Love Suffering, but Together?

  A house full of all the things that I love, slowly creeping from boxes and finding their space amongst the Other Half, and I try to escape the reality of my current situation every night.  A house that I stare ruefully from the windows of, not quite able to participate in the world it inhabits.  I am a self-made ghost, one foot in the grave I dug by hand, head in a fog of my own devices.  Never truly drunk, but always a bit hungover.

A house that I cannot seem to make feel like a Home.  In the privacy of my own thoughts, I hate it here.


  I flinch away from that thought, not even able to admit it to myself.  Its just temporary, it just needs some work, I just need to put some time and effort and grace into coexisting with the things I cannot change.  I just need to hang some pictures, find a spot just for me.  I just need to put more effort into healthy cooking and drinking less.  I just ... I just ... it's just ... just.  What is just?  What is fair?  What is present?  What is equitable about this living situation?  I just need to try harder to be present because it's not fair to my love that I resent him so much for uprooting our lives.

I just need somewhere that I can express all of these feelings when it feels like too much.


It's hard to find the positives right now, when two months in, we haven't even found places to unpack all of the boxes.  What's the point of bringing the artwork home to hang when we don't even know what furniture is staying, or where it will be?  It all feels so pointless right now.  He brings me flowers and I immediately realize that they are infested with weevils and poisonous to cats.  The peonies are relegated to the table outside, and the next day, the storms scatter the pretty pink petals all over the yard.

What will become of us? I think, as I stare out of the kitchen window, trying to feel some measure of joy in the lush green view.  My coffee brews, and I have nowhere to sit and drink it without my work clothes smelling of dog, of dirty laundry, of stress-sweat that smacks of testosterone, so I stand, ill at ease.

What is love, and what is Love?  Am truly I meant to be alone?

Popular posts from this blog

Optimism (with Frozen Needs)

Some days I want to write and write and write, and then there are others... the days where I feel as though I physically would choke and die if I attempted to open my journal and put ink on page. I remember that choke .  I used to feel it tighten my throat whenever I cracked open a box of cheap wine and realized I had drank more than intended the night before and could not make it through an entire day with the remaining contents of the sloshing, poisonous bag.  I used to feel it whenever I attempted stepping out of the house, and unless it was for another box of wine, I often let it defeat me. "The Gift of Fear" I thought, priding myself on being so good and so gentle with the mental illnesses that trapped me in that apartment for five slippery sloshing years. Mental illness does not deserve my kind regard. Recently, I've been feeling pretty down on myself, because at 235 days, I am not a saint.  The miraculous transformation I expected to continue in...

Partnership (with Benefits)

A Thought from last night... Usually, I have very nebulous reasons for staying in a partnership.  It was something I placed more on myself: "I like the way I feel when he..." or "He makes me..." and the longevity was usually based on my perception of their capacity to put up with my bullshit. Small fights breaking out isn't new for me, but not feeling more secure in the relationship bonds after a tit (or alternatively, breaking things off completely) is strange territory. E. is not afraid to walk away after a fight.  He makes it very clear that he stays here so long as he chooses to, and I respect that so long as it's benefiting him, he will find it easier to choose my company.  I am very much the same way.  Thank god we both prefer to talk over conflicts (after a healthy cooling-off period) and find compromises within those conflicts. I find it somewhat important that a partnership doesn't crumble the first time voices are raised. And I'm ve...

Thankstaking (with Hunger Pangs)

 I should know better by now, than to give into the solitude.  The familiarity of self-destruction, but once more I choose to celebrate only Me.  Another holiday where I stay indoors, where things never change, where I stay in control of my environment in the same way a fish can move pebbles around its bowl. I know better than to smoke, but I bought another pack today.  One last hurrah , except this time its Cowboy Killers, red on white, an exciting stranger in my home.  I take the world in 5 minute, burning breaks, lungs tense and aching, and I suffocate the bright sunshine, the riotously colored trees, and the unseasonable weather, which somehow helps me disconnect myself from the experience outside of my front porch. My head aches.  I am sick, but I am too disassociated to care.  It is a Feeling , and like many others, it can be suppressed if I smoke until I'm dizzy and drink lukewarming coffee until I'm jittery.  It's the closest thing to bein...